Temporary Suspension of Activities
UpdatedWednesday April 15, 2020 bySteve Severn.
Dear AGSA families, April 15, 2020
The AGSA Executive Board convened virtually on April 4th to discuss the spring 2020 season in light of the Covid-19 global pandemic and the options that lay before us as an Arlington youth sports organization. During that meeting many scenarios were discussed for picking up the pieces once it was safe to return to the fields.
Two main issues drove the course of our deliberations:
- Gov. Northam’s “Stay-at-Home” order effective until June 11 coupled with the Arlington Department of Parks and Recreation closing of all fields until June 22.
- The second is the continuing projections by national experts that the spread of the Covid-19 virus has not yet reached its peak in the U.S. and “social distancing” abatement measures is likely to be needed for the foreseeable future.
Board discussions since the April 4th meeting (even accounting for the best-case projections of a June field opening) has led us to make a decision now rather than wait for what seems the inevitable. Recognizing that we have not thought of every possible option and there are still many uncertainties, the AGSA Board unanimously agreed to the plan outlined below and believe that this is our best approach for responding to this unparalleled circumstance. It should be noted that this decision came after a long, exhaustive and often emotional review of our options. This was an extremely difficult decision that was made with the primary concern being the health and welfare of our children. We are dedicated to rebound with the passing of this pandemic and hope that your daughters will continue to play softball in AGSA.
Spring 2020 Season Policy
- Spring 2020 Season is postponed and in effect, moved to the Fall 2020 season.
- Our goal is for the Spring 2020 teams to play in the Fall season, to the extent possible, realizing that by necessity Commissioners may need to re-form some teams.
- We encourage all those registered for the Spring 2020 season to return in the Fall and play in AGSA. Our goal is to amp it up and keep it fun.
- We understand that Fall has never been our primary season, but we have never faced these extraordinary circumstances and we intend to respond accordingly.
- Our 2020 Spring league Commissioners will stay in place and start working immediately to plan for a far more robust Fall season than we usually have, starting early and playing as late as possible into November.
- Uniforms ordered in the Spring 2020 will be used in the Fall 2020 season.
- The Board also wants to maintain the option of conducting informal softball activities for House league players during the summer i.e., practices, pick-up games and camps, depending on when fields become available and the interest of coaches and players.
The timing of the Covid-19 shut-down could not have been worse for spring youth sports. Like others, AGSA has already paid for the vast majority of costs that are always front-loaded in any new season, including uniforms. We are therefore offering 3 options to families:
- Option 1: For those who registered in Spring 2020, and want to play in the Fall, there will be no registration fee for the Fall 2020 season. This credit will only apply for the Fall 2020 season.
- Option 2*: If you cannot or do not wish to play in the Fall, your full Spring 2020 registration payment to AGSA will be acknowledged as a donation to AGSA.
- Option 3*: If you cannot or do not wish to play in the Fall, you may request a refund. However, this will be a partial refund. We must deduct $75 per player from whatever amount you paid in the Spring to cover the AGSA up-front season expenditures already incurred and not recoverable. Contact: email@example.com
Hardship cases will always be considered for full refunds on an individual basis, upon request.
You do not have to do anything until the Fall 2020 season registration opens, hopefully in late July to early August. We will send out regular updates to keep you informed. You can also check our website at agsafastpitch.com
*Note: AGSA is a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization and all or part of moneys contributed may be tax deductible, please consult your tax advisor for specific information.
Travel Teams- Spirit, Sage and Impact
- The Spirit, Summer All-Star team Commissioner and Coaches will be meeting to construct a plan to form teams to possibly play in the summer. This is of course contingent on the opening of fields and the national tournament sanctioning bodies.
- Sage and Impact teams will determine their summer season activities as soon as fields are open. Each team will determine their own course and level of activity. Aside from national and regional tournaments, hosting doubleheader and mini-tournaments in Arlington is also a consideration.
In closing, I want to thank all of you for being so patient with AGSA as we struggle to understand the impact of the Covid-19 virus to not just our organization, but to our community our nation and the world. We are an organization of volunteers, your neighbors and friends and we are all in this together. Keep the faith, we will be back on the ball field soon,
On behalf of the AGSA Executive Board,
Warmest Regards, stay home and stay healthy,